Skip to main content

Fishing With My Grandfather

Fishing With My Grandfather



I was planning on telling a story about going fishing with my grandfather but there's a problem. I never went fishing with my grandfather. My grandfather was a very good athlete when he was young. He played minor league baseball and basketball. He evidently was also a good dancer as he supposedly won some dance contests. He also was good at drinking but gave that up at 30. I loved baseball so he talked baseball with me, a lot. My other grandfather also never took me fishing. He collected things, told me stories of his youth, and later talked politics. Truth is no one in my family did any fishing as far as I know, even though we all lived on an Island. However I did go fishing with my Dad once. One of my Dad's co-workers, named McDonald, was part of a group that used to put together little work skits every once in a while. I'm not sure where and what they did this for, but a few times I remember seeing them. My Dad was a musician when he was young, played in some Jazz bands and even sang a little. Anyway the skits I remember used familiar songs with the words changed as related to work. The one I most remember is the one they did changing the words to Do-Re-Me, but that's not for right now. This McDonald guy had a big boat he chartered out on weekends and one weekend he invited his work buddies and their kids on a fishing trip. So my Dad borrowed fishing poles from one of our neighbors, he must have had them demo how to use them, and we went fishing out on McDonald's big boat. This was fishing in the ocean . Now my take on fishing has always been that it looks like it's just something to do while you are drinking some beer. Well the beer part was not looking good given I was only 10 or 11 and in the company of a lot of adults. So it was going to be just straight fishing. We got on the boat and took off, seemed to me we went way out. So we get to where we are going to fish. How you pick a spot I have no idea as on the ocean one spot looks pretty much like the next. Well Old McDonald acted like he knew this was the spot so we stopped and all put our fishing poles into the water. And we sat holding on to the pole. Fishing seems to be one sport where watching the sport is pretty close to actually doing the sport except you have a pole in your hands and you're in a boat. Some time goes by and I start asking my Dad how do I know when I've caught a fish since I can't see the end of my line cause it's way under the water. He's says you'll know cause you'll feel a pull on the line/pole. After a bit more time I think maybe I'm feeling something and I tell my Dad and he replies it will not be a maybe thing. So a little more time goes by and so I ask again. Thinking how much could my Dad really know about this. I never heard of him fishing and we had to borrow the poles for this trip. Finally I say I'm gonna pull my line up just to have a look. So I do and sure enough there is a fish on the end of it. I caught a fish! One of the 1st on the boat to do so. The type of fish I caught.... a Fluke! Not kidding. It was so exciting I ask my Dad if I could quit the fishing part and just play around on the boat. And that is the one and only time I've been fishing. I want to thank my grandfather for taking me to the ballgame instead of taking me fishing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke