Skip to main content

Dear Mister Nash

Dear Mister Nash


For poetry I have no zest
Even when written by the best
To tell the truth I haven't time
To sit and think of words that rhyme

I wrote this in 1960. I was 11 and in the 6th grade. I had received an assignment to write a poem. I was not too happy about the assignment and struggled with it until I finally came up with the above. I got an “A” and it was put on the 1st page of a school newsletter containing some of the students' writings. 8th grade came around and again I received an assignment to write a poem. I decided to submit my now 2 year old poem. I got an “A” on it and it was included in the school's annual literary publication. It was either the 10th or the 11th grade when once again I received an assignment to write a poem. I worked on a few things, but in the end I fell back on the one I wrote in 6th grade. Why not? It had already gotten me 2 “A”s. I was not an A student in anything except gym and math. I submitted the same poem again. I got an “A”. Later in the school year someone in my homeroom who was on the annual school literary magazine informed me that my poem was selected, it was the last one picked and made the last page of the publication.

Four lines, 3 “A”s. At various times I have fooled with trying to write a poem. I wrote a few but I believe I peaked at 11. In the 6th grade I really only knew of three writers of poems: Dr Seuss, Shel Silverstein, and Ogden Nash. If you know the 3 poets, and I suspect most people of my generation do, then you can see the influence, especially Mr Nash. In fact I again used this poem in college and titled it “Dear Mister Nash”. I didn't get an “A” but I got a “B”.

The poem itself can be attributed to my creative side, a small side indeed, like the poem. This story appeals to my logical, practical side - the side that allows me to be good at math and computer programming. Those traits lend themselves to characteristics such as simplicity, economy, efficiency.
Of course the fact that I took the shortcut of using the same poem over and over can be attributed to the slacker, quite larger, side of me.

I like to read and have read some poetry in the past, but today I do not read much poetry. When I was younger I read more of it. Some of the poets I liked to read at that time were e. e. Cummings, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, and Gary Snyder. I also read people like Kenneth Patchen, Leonard Cohen and even Ezra Pound. Today I occasionally read a poem I stumble upon, usually in some publication like the “NewYorker” but that's pretty much it.

I will close with 2 poems by Ogden Nash:

The Hunter

The hunter crouches in his blind
'Neath camouflage of every kind,
And conjures up a quaking noise
To lend allure to his decoys.
This grown-up man with pluck and luck
Is hoping to outwit a duck.


The Middle

When I remember bygone days
I think of how evening flows morn;
So many I loved were not yet dead
So many I love were not yet born.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke