Skip to main content

Beale AFB – Settling In

Beale AFB – Settling In


 We were in California. I was trying to settle into military life and working on the air base. The navigation repair shop was active round the clock so there were 3 shifts. Most missions were flown in the morning with some in the afternoon. Due to the plane's notoriety, we were always being visited by “important” people. We were frequently on display. For instance Jimmy Stewart visited twice in the year and a half I was there. Senators and Congressmen came for a look-see as well as any high ranking military men who happened to be visiting the base. The SR-71 was a big draw. Day Shift (8:00 to 16:30) was a big shift, meaning it had the highest number of airmen and sergeants assigned to it. Day shift involved doing the pre-flight stuff in the morning. Most of the flights out of Beale were scheduled for the morning. After that it was a lot of standing around, cleaning up to prepare for visitors, and standing inspection. The work load was light but there was a lot of being on display. Not ideal for me.

Day shift had too many high ranking sergeants all needing to look important and there was lots of emphasis on shinny shoes and neatly pressed fatigues. The sergeants' favorite activity seemed to be finding faults in the lower ranking guys and thanks to my AWOL adventure, I was the lowest. I had other fine traits to help me stand out as well. I was a bit, what they liked to call “grotty”. My shoes usually marginally shined, my uniform clean but not that well pressed. I did not send my fatigue uniforms out to the laundry and have them heavily starched, the preferred method. They was fatigues for goodness sake and frankly, I did not have the money. I washed and pressed them myself and I did not heavily starch them like the laundry. They would come back from the laundry like cardboard. You had to pull them apart just to get into them, not overly comfortable. I've always been a big fan of comfort. Give me comfort over style any day. I wasn't the only one to do this, most of the married airmen did the same for the same reason (financial). Another quality I possessed was my ability to look casual, a little too casual according to some, the some being those pesky sergeants. I also still had a tendency to put my hands in my pocket (a no-no) or at least on my hips when just standing around. Oh, lastly, I was good at making under appreciated remarks. This would make people laugh, just not the right people. Well all this made me an ideal target for public fault finding by higher-up sergeants. I was the blood in the water and they were the sharks.

I was usually first in line for tasks like clean the shop, make their coffee and mop the floor. Well I did work in the shop and walk on the floor so I was fine with that, but I never drank any of the coffee. Being the spoiled entitled type person I was I sort of resented being assigned to make the coffee for the rest of them. I remarked that I didn't think I was good looking enough to be the secretary. That didn't go over well, another one of those under appreciated remarks. I had not yet learned that being in service to others was beneficial and fulfilling in and of it self. I did manage to solve the problem by making the coffee extra, extra strong and after a rather loud discussion with the top sergeant about it, I over compensated by making the next batch super weak. Another discussion ensued after which the top sergeant let it be known that I was under no circumstances allowed anywhere near the coffee pot. In spite of this, I still managed to become a valued member of the cleanup crew when preparing for visits from dignitaries, usually securing one of the prime cleanup jobs. However, once done, I would often be sent off on some out of the way task when the dignitaries actually appeared. Evidently I was considered good at cleaning up everything but myself...


I soon figured out that day shift was not the best spot for me. Swing and night shifts did most of the work and the emphasis on appearances was greatly diminished. Swing shift (16:30 to 24:00) was a popular shift. You were out of the spot light, there was usually something to do, and you could live a fairly normal schedule. The shift went to 12 but you usually were let go around 10 or so. I managed to get on the evening (swing) shift briefly but it was a popular shift and there were plenty of airmen wanting the shift. Being the lowest ranking guy in the shop I generally got last choice so I was bumped after a couple of weeks. There was an opening on night shift (23:30 to 8:30), so I decided to give that a try. The sergeant in charge of the night shift, Sgt Jones, was a nice guy. As long as you did your job he left you alone. He loved to play cards, for money. Many nights there was not enough work to keep everyone busy for the whole shift so we all had an option: We could play cards with him or work on the plane. I had too little money to even think about gambling any of it away so I always chose the work option. Sgt. Jones was always fair with me and he treated me well. I had no problem with his arrangement plus he was always quick to help you out when you needed it. Best of all night shift never had important visitors and hence no inspections which suited me fine. Plus, there was generally plenty of real work, real work being actually working on the airplane. A drawback was night shift wasn't ideal for the home life. All things considered it seemed to be the best fit for me, at least for now.

We had been there about a month and the trunk that we had shipped from Mississippi was yet to show up. We called about it and it seemed it was lost somewhere and they had not as yet found it. We were told it would be something like 90 to 120 days before they considered it lost. If still not found by then we could submit a claim and they would reimburse us for our loss. It was not too bad as most the clothes in it were fall and winter and it was summer but it also contained some kitchen stuff that we really kind of needed. It was around that time that I received a a call from a Captain in the financial area. He informed me that I did not have authorization to sign for Donna's release from the hospital back in Kentucky when Donna had her accident (see my MWOP post from 9/12). Since I had, the Air Force was no longer obligated to pay the hospital costs and hence we owed them the amount they had paid the hospital. I don't remember the exact amount but it was something over $200 and they were going to take it from my pay check. I explained that the bill was larger than my monthly pay and after a little negotiating the captain agreed to work out a payment plan. The plan was to take thirty something dollars a month out of my check until it was paid which would be in about 7 or 8 months. That was like getting a 15% pay cut and we were already struggling to make ends meet. Something was gonna have to give...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke