Skip to main content

22 and Divorced

22 and Divorced


Shortly after my last conversation with Donna I took another week of leave. I needed to get back to something familiar, and to be with people who really cared about me. I flew back to New York to visit my parents. They were great. They didn't ask a lot of questions. They gave me space and just let me be which was what I needed. My mom was the only member of my family who had any sort of positive feelings towards Donna, but then my mom has always been remarkable in being able to see the good side of all people. I don't remember doing much while I was there but I did go to a Yankee game with my Dad. For you Yankee fans the Yankees had been going through a long down period. They were a middle of the pack team in '71. They still had Mel Stottlemyre and Horace Clarke but also had a few young players, Roy White, Bobby Mercer, and Thurman Munson.

My Dad owned an old Saab, it was similar in size to the Volkswagen Bug. He had bought it as a second car after I went off to college. I learned to drive a stick shift with that car. It was a quirky little car. It had a three cylinder engine so you had to add oil to the gas. It had what they called “free wheeling”, meaning when you took your foot off the gas the car coasted, not grabbed so you did not slow down much. It was like being in neutral, in fact you could shift between 2nd to 3rd without using the clutch as long as you paused for a second or two before sliding it into gear. You really only had to use the clutch with 1st gear. Since I no longer had access to a car I decided to check out some Saabs while I was there. The guy who had the local Saab dealership was one of our neighbors. I purchased the same small model. It now came with a 4 cylinder engine so no need for the oil. A few days later I drove it back across the country to California. I put 60,000 miles on it in just 2 years and I was the only driver. I loved that car.

Once back at the base and into a daily routine, I started thinking that it would be a good idea to file for divorce. I didn't trust the guy Donna was with. He was a shady character, not above engaging in illegal activities (and I'm not talking pot). I decided it would be smart to remove myself legally from the situation. I wasn't too sure how to do it so I retained a lawyer that was recommended to me.

The lawyer's name was Offutt and he was very helpful and pragmatic. We talked for awhile and given my situation he gave me a discounted rate on his fees. Not having any property or kids made the divorce process simpler. We filed the papers and had Donna served, except she was no longer at the address I had for her. The only real thing we owned that was of any value was the car, well, now two cars because I had bought another one. Of course, I wanted the one I just purchased but we still owed on the the other one and since Donna had it I felt it only fair that she should have to make the payments. She had for some reason stopped making payments and I had already received a couple of late notices from the bank. I was going to make the payments but my lawyer had another idea. He said the first thing I needed to do was find the car and suggested I get the bank to do that. How? Don't make any payments on the loan. In another month or so the bank would send me letters about defaulting on the loan. He told me to ignore them. The bank would then take action to repossess the car. Since I did not have it or know where it was, they would track it down. They had the resources to do that. Once they found it he said they would contact me and give me one last chance to make the back payments before actually repossessing. At that point I should be prepared to pay all the back car payments and the bank would provide me the location of the car. If it was still with Donna, then we'd find her as well.

One day in the shop I ended up participating in a discussion about the war. Now that I was more engaged and more part of the group, I was feeling more free to express my opinions. I stated my views about the war, that I did not support it. I said we were backing the wrong side, backing a regime that was corrupt, unpopular, and unstable. And naturally, I did not stop there. I went on to say that I was not going to go to Southeast Asia. If they sent me there they were going to have to tie me up and load me on the plane against my will. In fact, I would go AWOL first. This kind of talk had irked people in the past and it did not fail to do the same here. In particular it did not sit well with my supervising Sergeant. He evidently decided that he would show me. Since we were working on a specialty spy plane (SR-71) that had required additional training we were on a protected list meaning that we were exempt from being reassigned for something like 5 years. Everyone stayed on that list unless someone decided to remove you. That's one of the nice things about the military, if you outrank someone you have a lot of power over them. The offended Sergeant decided he would have me removed from the list and one week later he informed me of his success.

I was now eligible to get orders to be shipped out. Sure enough, a couple of weeks later I received new orders. Fifty Airmen received orders to be shipped out that day, 48 of them to Southeast Asia and 2 to Omaha Nebraska. I was one of the two. The other one was another guy from my unit, Joel Barton. I no longer remember what Joel did to motivate them to take him off the protected list, but we both realized how lucky we were. We celebrated our good fortune. The luckiest part was that shortly after I was transferred some of my co-workers at Beale ended up being sent TDY (a Temporary Duty assignment) to Cambodia. We would have been among them.

The name of the base in Nebraska? Offutt, the same as my lawyer's. Weird... Offutt was the SAC (Strategic Air Command) headquarters and we were working on secret spy planes that were largely used for spying on Cuba so we were at least at that time exempt from being sent off on a TDY assignment to Southeast Asia. It's funny how things go sometimes, once again I lucked out.

I received the orders in September with a reporting date in October. I had a court date for the divorce tentatively set for early November. I went down to the administration building and explained that I was in the middle of a divorce and needed to stay here until my court date, otherwise I would need to come back for the divorce or start the divorce procedure all over again. However, I did not want to go back into the pool, I was happy with the assignment and would be willing to do that if necessary. They let me keep the assignment to Nebraska and delayed my reporting date until the end of the year. The supervising Sergeant was not pleased, and of course the delay meant he was still going to have to have me around another couple of months.

The bank found our Toyota at a dealership somewhere in the San Joaquin Valley. Donna, however, was nowhere to be found. The address and phone number that were left were fake. The car had been there for some time and it had a good sized repair bill on it. I retrieved it and paid the bank. I now had both cars. My lawyer told me he'd try to get them both for me since my wife had abandoned it, and the way he was putting it, also abandoned me. I wasn't thrilled that he was going to say Donna abandoned me in court but he assured me it was necessary. He thought we had a decent chance of getting both cars since I was in the military, Donna had left me while I was overseas, and it appeared she was not going to be present in court. According to him, all points in my favor.

In court my lawyer had instructed me to answer every question “yes” and to not say anything else. In fact, he told me I didn't even have to listen to the questions, just make sure to say just “yes”. So I was up on the stand and saying yes and yes and yes. I was getting tired of just saying “yes” so for one of the question I ad-libbed “yes, that's my understanding”. Well Mr Offutt shot me a look like I just screwed up the whole thing so I went back to strictly “yes” answers.

The Judge granted the divorce and gave me both cars with the stipulation that I sell one of them for no more than the amount I owed on it.

Just like that I was 22 and divorced.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke