Skip to main content

A Cross Country Trip – NY and Back to Eugene Thru Canada


A Cross Country Trip – Fire Island and Back to Eugene Thru Canada

Beach on Fire Island 
It was July and Cyndi and I had arrived at my parents house in Huntington Station on Long Island. Long Island can get quite humid and it can be quite oppressive at times in the summer and it was one of those times. Coming downstairs one morning Cyndi informed me that the humidity was awful and asked how could I live in a place like this? My initial thought was “It's not like I had a choice. Besides, this was all I had ever known and it's not like this all the time.” Cyndi grew up in the Chicago area and they have humidity too, but it does not get as intense as it does on the east coast. What we used to do on days like this was head to the beach. It would be less hot, generally with a breeze, and we could swim. So, we packed up and headed out to the beach. Since we were on an island we had a choice between the north shore beaches or the south shore beaches. I decided to go to the ocean (south shore) side of the Island, specifically Fire Island. The two main ocean beaches closest to my parents' home were Fire Island and Jones Beach. Both were white sand beaches. They are actually on sandbars and they had waves that broke on the shore. The waves could sometimes be quite big. Fire Island was further east than Jones and it usually had the larger waves which was one reason I liked to go there. We drove to Fire Island and found the waves were big that day. Cyndi was a good swimmer and liked to swim, but Cyndi had never been swimming in sizable waves. I gave her a quick lesson on how to do it. I explained how you needed to get beyond the break-line and to do that you would need to rush in and dive into the wave that was coming at you. It would look scary but if you just dive into it you will come out the other side. What I failed to communicate was that since the waves were large you may need to dive into the next wave or two as well before you get past the break-line. The waves at Fire Island can come very rapidly. So we ran into the water and dove into the first wave after which Cyndi stood up with her back to the waves and started to pull the hair back from her face. We were not yet beyond the break-line and the next wave was about to hit. Before I could get her attention the wave broke right on her and sent her crashing into the surf where she was bounced around until she was delivered to the shore where she could safely stand up. It's scary the first time that happens to you because you don't realize you are being driven back to the shore and when the wave is finished bouncing you around you will be out of harm's way and able to safely stand up. I had, of course, dove into the next wave and avoided Cyndi's fate after which I looked back and saw Cyndi on the shore. Realizing what happened, I rode the next wave in. I tried explaining to Cyndi that she needed to dive into any wave that was breaking in front of her. I said “Lets try again”. Cyndi looked at me like I was a lunatic and firmly indicated there was no way she was going to attempt this a second time. I knew she would love it once she successfully made it out. At this point there was no convincing her, but I do not give up easily. I had us pack up all our stuff and head back to the car. I drove over to Jones Beach. The waves at Jones were still good sized but a little smaller and a little slower than Fire Island's. With a lot of coaxing I finally got Cyndi to try it again and this time she made it. She loved it. In fact, she stayed in a long time and I had trouble convincing her to get out of the water when it was time to leave.

After a few days it was time to head back to Eugene. Andy and Connie picked us up at my parents' house. My Mom gave us all a bunch of these Groucho Marx glasses (black rims with big nose and mustache) that we had been fooling around with. We thought we'd use them to entertain ourselves with on the long ride back. We first tried putting them on in traffic on the Long Island Expressway (LIE) but no one other than a couple of kids would even acknowledge us. So next we took to putting them on when we drove through toll booths thinking we might get a reaction from the toll collector. Nope, 3 toll booths absolutely no reaction from any of the toll collectors. I don't even think they noticed. I mean we were in a Volkswagen Micro Bus with lots of windows and pretty much at eye level with these people and nothing. Maybe it's common for New Yorkers to look like Groucho....

We decided to go back through Canada, camping along the way, with plans to stop at Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies. We headed up the New York Thruway towards Utica and then North crossing into Canada. We then turned West along the North side of Lake Ontario. We traveled around Lake Huron and eventually got on highway 17 to the North side of Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes. We found a place to camp on Lake Superior. We set up our tents and went for a swim. Superior is a beautiful clean lake. You can clearly see the bottom even after you are out in the water over your head. The water was cool but refreshing. After our swim we started up a fire to cook up some dinner. The sun was getting lower in the horizon as it was getting towards dusk. Out came the mosquitoes. Not just a few but a whole battalion. Thousands of mosquitoes who evidently hadn't eaten all day. They took one look at us and it was Thanksgiving in July. I put on some long pants, a shirt, and I pulled out the Cutter's - you know that stuff that's supposed to kill mosquitoes? I put a couple of drops on my wrist and immediately a mosquito landed right in the middle of one of the Cutter's drops and proceeded to stick it's proboscis into me and suck out some blood. I knew we were in trouble. These mosquitoes were hungry, Donner Party hungry! Those dang mosquitoes swarmed all over us and they were not going to be stopped. They had us outnumbered and on the run. We were all swiping madly at out attackers. We all made a bee-line for our tents, zipping them closed. Cyndi and I killed the ones that managed to fly in with us. I am usually not a big target for mosquitoes but I was bitten multiple times. Cyndi had many more. Her back was covered with bites. She had me count the bytes on her back. I counted well over 50 before I stopped. Our choices were limited. We had three options: go back to the car, jump back in the lake, or stay in the tent until dark. We stayed in the tent. Once it was dark Andy and Connie crawled out of their tent and re-started the fire. We eventually joined them. We all ate some dinner and sat around the fire for awhile before retiring for the evening. The next morning we checked out the mosquito situation before venturing out. It appeared the mosquitoes were gone but not wanting to take any chances we had a quick breakfast and headed out to get away from the great Lake Superior Mosquito Army while the getting was good.

By the afternoon we reached Banff National Park. Banff is a stunningly beautiful park especially the picturesque Lake Louise. We spent a day there and then headed out the West side of the park. I don't remember if we were in Glacier National Park or just on the other side of it when we stopped to swim in a river that paralleled the highway we were on. It was a fast moving river. Andy found a bend in the river and tied a rope to a tree and then tied a log to the other end of the rope and tossed the log into the river. Because of the bend the log floated out towards the middle of the river. We then all went upstream and took turns jumping in. The river was very cold, the coldest water I have ever been in and I've been swimming in some pretty cold mountain lakes as well as the Pacific Ocean up in Oregon. As soon as you jumped in the cold temperature of the water shocked you but there was no time to waste as the river's current immediately took you swiftly down stream. You had to start angling towards that rope with the log attached to it. Once you caught the rope you could pull yourself back out of the water. Once you were out your whole body would tingle for like 5 minutes. It was exhilarating. We each did it a couple of times. Looking back we were probably foolish taking a chance jumping into a river moving that quickly but we all did, we all caught the rope, and we all lived to tell about it. It remains a vivid memory to this day.

Andy and me

After that we headed south to the States attempting to cross the border into central Washington. We had some pot with us (for medicinal purposes only of course). Entering into Canada Andy had hidden all our stash in the car. He had taken off one of the inside panels and then re-attached it. When we entered Canada their border agents just asked us a couple of questions and waved us through. Entering into the US was a bit different, after all, we weren't just visitors, we were citizens with all those rights and freedoms our country is famous for. Of course we were pulled over. Rights or no rights, young people with long hair were potential trouble. The agents checked all our ID's and then proceeded to go through our stuff (ducking down out of site only works for so long...). All our “stuff” was hidden again. My things were packed in a standard packing cardboard box (I like to travel in style). It was a step up from my usual travel bag, a pillow case. As the agent started going through our things I remembered that I forgot about my pot pipe. It was still at the bottom of my box. The agent got to my box and stuck his big hands into it and felt all around, pulling a few things out. It was quite the anxious moment as I stood there helpless just hoping he would not find it. And praise be, somehow he missed it. We were granted entry back into our own country. From there we had an easy and pleasant ride back home to Eugene. This concludes my 3 part story of my trip across the country with Cyndi in the summer of 1975.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke