Skip to main content

Invasion of The Long Hairs – Summer of 78


Invasion of The Long Hairs – Summer of 78


Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Animal House, and Dear Hunter, were among the notable movies in the theaters in 1978. Devo's “Are We Not Men”, The Police's “Outlandos d'Amor”, and of course the Bee Gee's “Saturday Night Fever” were among the notable albums. It was the year of the first cell phone, the Jim Jones led mass suicide in Guyana, and the start of what would become the video game craze with the release of Space Invaders.

Animal House was filmed in Eugene and the surrounding area the previous fall. The famous food fight scene was done in the U of O student union. I happened to be sitting in the union when they started setting up to film that scene. The actors entered and there was a big crowd wanting to get into position to watch. I saw big trays of what looked like hamburgers being moved into the room. That was when I decided to leave. I'm not big on crowds and had not really paid much attention to the film activities that were going on around the campus. I do remember that there had been an ad for extras for the parade scene that was to be filmed in Cottage Grove, a small city a little south of Eugene. As I recall they were looking for guys with short hair and although mine was about to be cut it was still long at that time. It wasn't something I was interested in anyway.

1978 was a time of transition, at least for me. It was the year the Sex Pistols broke up and Disco music was peaking, but it was also a time when Punk music was becoming more main stream and New Wave was making its way into the pop charts. The 80's were around the corner. In 1978 I shaved my beard off in March, cut my hair in April, and graduated in May. While I didn't want it to be, the summer of '78 would be my last summer in Eugene as I would move to San Francisco that fall to find a job.

By '78 the number of people sporting long hair was dwindling. That being said, that summer in Eugene turned into a sort of a last hurrah for long hair. The Rainbows came to town for one of their big family gatherings. There was a Renaissance Festival that summer. The Grateful Dead made their first appearance in Eugene playing a concert at Autzen Stadium. Lastly, the Hoedads held their annual convention in Eugene. All four of these groups were largely populated by people with long hair and frequently beards as well. The typical Hoedad had both long hair and a beard. The Hoedads, for those who don't know about them, were a tree planting worker owned co-operative. Jerry Rust who would later become a Lane County Commissioner co-founded the organization in the 70's. Of course everyone knows about the “Dead Heads”. The Rainbows were essentially a group of hippie types who held gatherings that could last a month or so. From what I experienced, the group preached peace, love, and unity. They were largely a group of counter-culture folks who would squat legally, as far as I knew, on a piece of property. From my experience a Rainbow Gathering visit could include hacky sac, meditation, dancing, “enhanced” discussions,and, shall we say, a more personal social activity. I also found there seemed to be a number hanger-oners, those who were just there for the free food and a place to stay. The Renaissance Festival was not really all that much different other than it was more organized and had lots of craft and food stuff for sale. The two groups kind of blended together. Adding in the “Dead Heads” and Hoedads, long hair was “the thing” in Eugene that summer. Even though my hair was now short, I did do a couple of visits to the Renaissance Festival and the Rainbow Gathering but I was out of town for the Grateful Dead show. I knew a couple of Hoedads but the convention was a members only affair.

Having graduated, I was feeling compelled to spend the summer pursuing a job, like a real professional job. I was hoping to find something somewhere in Oregon, but I did not let that “compellsion” (Hello Barney Fife) get in the way of my current daytime job of having a good time. I went backpacking a couple of times with my dog Nyshia and friends up in the Three Sisters Wilderness area. I made a few visits to the local hot springs. I did a lot of swimming in the Willamette River, played some softball and pickup basketball, and in my spare time looked around for a computer programming job.

I took a car camping trip with plans to swim in the rivers of southern Oregon and northern California. Rivers I remember setting out to swim in included Umpqua, Rogue, Chetco, Winchuck, and Smith. I am not sure I actually got to all of them as today I only remember swimming in the Rogue and Smith rivers. I especially remember the Smith as it was so clear. I still think of the Smith as the nicest river I ever swam it. I spent a whole day at one swimming hole on the Smith with a guy, his son, and a woman who was working the summer at the Oregon Caves. She encouraged us to visit the caves saying they were worth checking out. I did stop on my way back to Eugene but it was late in the day by the time I arrived and there was a fee so I just moved on.

One night playing basketball under the freeway I was driving to the basket when someone undercut me and I went down face first on the asphalt. Instinctively I held on to the ball rapping one arm around the ball and used my other to try to protect my face. My left arm hit the asphalt first. I was a little scraped up and my left arm was hurting, but other than the pain I seemed to be OK so I continued to play on. Soon I lost all feeling in my left hand and then I found I couldn't lift my arm above my chest. I took myself to the University Health Center. However, I was now out of school and no longer entitled to receive health care from them so they sent me to the emergency ward of a local hospital. The hospital took me in and took an x-ray of my arm. They told me I'd done some significant damage to my left arm and one of my forearm bones was broken. The damage was in the upper area of my forearm near the elbow. The good news was the broken bone was in place so it didn't need setting. The bad news was they said I may never completely straighten my arm again. The doctor told me I would need to start doing rehab exercises soon. He talked on for awhile but after I heard “not straighten my left arm again” I kind of zoned-out. I'm left handed. The doctor put a cast on me, wrapped up the arm, set me up for six weeks of doctor visits, and sent me home. The cast only went 3/4 of the way around my arm so I could actually pull it off which was handy for showering but driving was difficult because I could only use one hand (I had a stick shift) and it became a convenient excuse to limit the job pursuit for awhile.

At my first appointment the following week I met with a new doctor. He came into the room and put up the same now week old x-ray and proceeded to show me where my arm was broken and the extent of the damage, end of story. It was the exact the same thing the doctor from emergency had done. He asked if I had any questions. What was this appointment for? I damaged my arm, not my memory. It was a total waste of my time, not to mention I was expected to pay for this with my limited funds. So I asked when would I start doing rehab exercises and what were they? He said probably next week. He was unwilling to go into detail just then but said they would be exercises moving my arm in order to straight it again. I asked if he would be taking any more x-rays and he said not unless there were further complications. I then asked what we'd be doing for the remainder of my visits and it sounded like five more weeks of the same thing. OK, it was the old “fool me once” thing so I thanked him and on the way out I canceled my 5 other appointments.

I knew a Yoga teacher who was knowledgeable in Chinese medicine and I met with him the next day. He advised me to put heat on my arm and start moving it right away. He also gave me some stuff to rub on my arm Whatever it was it heated up my arm. As soon as I got home I removed the cast and rubbed some of that stuff on my arm and started moving my arm as much as I could. I continued to do this frequently. At first I moved my arm only with the Chinese stuff rubbed into my arm or in the shower with very warm water running on it. After a couple of days I was moving it without the heat, although I was still using the heat too, and I permanently removed the cast and just used the sling. Four weeks later I was back to playing softball and I could straighten my left arm.

I eventually got the bill for the emergency visit as well as the additional doctor visit. I paid the emergency visit fee but I refused to pay for the worthless doctor visit. The seriousness of being told that I broke and damaged my arm coupled with a viewing of the x-ray was pretty clear the first time. I didn't require or want a replay with a second doctor.

The summer of '78 was coming to an end, the visiting long hairs were mostly gone, my left arm was now good, my money was running out, and I had not found a job. It was becoming clear that this portion of my life was about to end and I was going to be starting a new chapter that entailed leaving Oregon to find a “real professional job” in computer programming. Yikes! I was about to embark on a career, or at least a temporary one until I truly figured out just what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke