Skip to main content

Music and Me


Music and Me
Bottom Row:  Me at 4 with my Mom, My Sister and my Grandmother
Top Row: My Grandfather, Aunt Lynne, and my Dad

For those of you who have been following this blog, I'm still on my way to California. It's not a short drive and I am taking my time. So, in the meantime I have decided to post a few music based stories. When I first thought about doing a blog about me it was with my nephews in mind, since they mostly knew me through my brother's or sister's eyes but it was just something I thought about from time to time. A number of my friends told me one evening that they just did not get the Beatles so I wrote a piece on why they shouldn't dismiss the Beatles and sent it to them. They knew of course that I really liked music and after they read my piece they suggested I do a podcast on music. I've never thought I spoke very well and if I was going to be talking about music I would want to play it as well. I wasn't sure what the legal rules were for playing someone's songs on my podcast, anyway, I think I write better than I talk. At that point I decided to start a blog but so far I have not been writing about music. It's been based on my original idea of telling my story keeping my nephews in mind. But here we are. I'm on my way to San Francisco from Eugene Oregon, so while we are all waiting for me to get there I am going to post a few music related stories. I have always loved music and this is an “intro” piece for a series of memories tied to albums that have been significant to me over the years.

Music has always been important to me. Some of my earliest memories are of listening to music. I was lucky to have been exposed to music when I was young. Both my parents as well as my only Aunt liked and played music for me. My Dad played trombone in a jazz band when he was young. He was an "all-state" musician when he was in high school and he originally when to college to study music. Pearl Harbor happened causing him to cut his college career short and enlist in the Army. My mom, like myself, is someone who always has a song going through their head any time she is not engaged in something like conversation, a movie, or reading. At home I heard my Dad's Big Band Jazz records, Broadway show soundtracks and classical music. My Mom told me later that she played classical music for me because she saw it as part of my education.

My Aunt Lynne loved music and was particularly into jazz as well as classical music. My Aunt played both jazz and classical music for me whenever I visited her. My earliest memory of visiting with Lynne was when I was pretty young, preschool age. She played for my sister and me a recording of “Peter and the Wolf” A symphony written by Sergei Prokofiev with narration. Lynne explained how each character was represented by a musical instrument which was again explained in the recording. I have a pretty good imagination so I loved it, I suppose my sister who was not only younger but also not so easily entertained was probably bored to tears and probably doesn't remember it. But to me, it was magical and is among my earliest memories.


A few years ago I told Lynne that one of my other earliest and most vivid memories is when she took me over to one of her friends house and he played some jazz music for me. We were riding in his car and she had her friend to ask me what my favorite music was. My answer was dixieland jazz. I really had no idea what that was at the time, and in fact could not have identified one kind of jazz from another. What I did know was that one of my favorite albums of my Dad's was a Louis Armstrong album and my dad had told me it was dixieland jazz. That being the only term I knew for a type of jazz, dixieland jazz was always my reply when someone asked me about jazz. The thing was that I liked lots of my Dad's jazz records that were not considered dixieland as well but had no idea what kind of jazz they were and why they were not dixieland. My Dad had a good collection of Big Band jazz records. Many of my Dad's albums were 78's. 78 albums came with something like 4 or 6 records. Each record had one song on each side, like the 45 singles I would buy a few years later except the 78's were larger and thicker in size. Anyway, my answer of dixieland jazz seemed to impress my aunt's friend. I don't know if it was because it was surprising that I would even know there was such a thing as dixieland jazz, or just that he thought it was cute coming from the mouth of a preschool aged kid. He took us to his house. When we got there he pulled out an album and put it on his turntable. Now this was in early/mid 50's and up until this time the only kind of "high quality" sound system I had ever seen was one of those High Fidelity units, you know, the kind that is like a big piece of furniture. My Aunt's friend had a component stereo system with multiple big speakers. My memory is the turntable and amplifier were set up in the corner on a big table or maybe large shelves, or both. It was all spread out and the whole set up looked like a shrine. I'm sure my memory of it is way bigger and more impressive than it actually was but it looked impressive. After telling my aunt about this memory she said she remembered that too. She said it was a seminal moment for me that when the music came on I looked up like I'd seen God. I was transfixed. It was the most magnificent thing I had ever seen and heard. From that point on I always asked my aunt if we were going to visit her friend whenever I visited her.
A High Fidelity System
As I mentioned above, my Dad played trombone. He also played french horn. He picked that up when he was asked to join the school's marching band. They initially wanted him to play the tuba, but the band also needed someone a french horn player. My father was no dummy, he wisely told them he'd play the french horn. After all, you gotta really love the tube if your going to be lugging the big thing around while marching. Not only that, at the time my father, while he would eventually grow to be six feet tall, was one of the shortest kids in the school.

The trombone was my Dad's main instrument and as such his jazz record collection leaned heavily on the trombone side. Tommy Dorsey was his absolute favorite. He loved how Tommy played and the sound of his horn when he played. So we had a number of Tommy Dorsey records and Tommy's band had a very young Frank Sinatra singing on them with the Pied Pipers. Back then the band was bigger than the singers. Songs would start with the band playing first and then the singers would come in the second time through. Those records were my introduction to Frank Sinatra. Tommy Dorsey's “Stardust” with Frank and the Pied Pipers was my parents' song. My favorite song from all my Dad's albums was Frank singing “Blue Skies” with Tommy Dorsey of course.

Soon enough I discovered Rock n Roll and dedicated my listening time largely to that but I would eventually expand my listening habits. I don't really listen to much Tommy Dorsey although I do play some of his songs now and then. However, I listen to a lot of Frank Sinatra. Frank is a kind of a “go to” for Saturday night. And according to iTunes (it counts how many times each song is played) Frank songs dominate my most played list. The number one song? “The Best is Yet to Come”...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke