Skip to main content

Toujours Eugene


Toujours Eugene

A last lunch with Frank - an expression of my thoughts about leaving Eugene

Eugene was the first place I lived other than where I grew up on Long Island that I thought of as home, and in some ways I still think of Eugene as home. My decision to move to Oregon was partially based on talking with some people I knew from Oregon along with a long strange weekend I spent there up in the hills somewhere east of Medford. That was my lone visit to Oregon and it was when I was in the Air Force stationed at Beale AFB in Northern California. I picked the University of Oregon in Eugene strictly on faith. My research included a write-up about it in a book titled “The Underground Guide to The College of Your Choice”.

When I arrived in Eugene in 1974 to attend the University there I had never seen Eugene and did not know anyone who lived there but I was eager to claim Eugene as my new home. My first impression of the town and University was positive and I found it easy to adopt Eugene as home. I planned to make Eugene my permanent home, not just during my school years.

I grew up a suburban kid and as a young adult I gravitated towards an urban environment. Growing up in the New York City metropolitan area my definition was of a city was New York City and that's where I envisioned myself living. My time living in California, while I was in the Air Force, changed that. I gained an appreciation for a more rural setting. I still was not interested in suburbia but was now interested in maybe a less urban environment. Eugene was considered a city but it was not a big city and it was rather small to me. Eugene had a fresh air, connect with nature feel about it. It was bigger than a small town but was still small enough that it was easy for me to feel part of the town. The local politicians were visible and more than just a name or a picture in the paper. I'd see them around town. I knew the homeless people on my side of town.

Eugene had a strong liberal slant due to the university but the area also had a conservative presence from long time residents, the valley farmers, and the logging industry that dominated the state's economy. However, all sides were interested in protecting the land which resulted in bringing everyone together on some environmental issues, but it also divided them on others. One nice thing about Oregon for me was even though there would be disagreement on issues, there wasn't a lot of that angry combative intensity I had become accustomed to in the larger metropolitan areas of the country.

After living in Eugene I not only stopped chasing after lost time but I slowed down more than I ever had before. Living in Eugene I backpacked, recycled, joined co-ops, did yoga, took up running/jogging, ate a vegetarian diet, did lots of hiking, visited hot springs, stopped wearing a bathing suit, and used a bike as my primary mode of transportation. I learned to conserve resources, share my possessions, exchanged the hand shake greeting for a hug and it was in Eugene where I engaged with the gay community. I realized I likely had friends who were gay before Eugene but I was not really aware of it. This was the first time that community became part of my world too.

I resisted leaving Eugene when I did but I was running out of money and felt I needed to get a serious job after all I was almost 30... That was not going to happen in Eugene. Eugene/Oregon is the only place I moved from where I was truly sad to leave. I really did not want to leave so I kept delaying my departure. Even after I had packed up my truck and moved out of my apartment I lingered for a few days staying with various friends. When I finally did leave I was depressed for a few weeks, and I am someone who's rarely depressed.

When I think back on my time in Eugene there's so many memories. There's Nyshia, Cyd, the Barrington Gang, Frank, the river, the hot springs, the Cascades, etc. I felt part of the community, had close friends, and even though we no longer shared a residence there was the Barrington Gang who seemed like family to me.

I have had many homes. They include Long Island in New York where I grew up, San Francisco, and now Sacramento. I spent 18 years on Long Island, 10 years in SF, and over 20 in Sacramento. They have all been home, but Eugene, where I lived for just 4 years, feels like home more than any of the rest. Eugene has a special place in my heart. I don't miss Huntington (Long Island), I sometimes miss SF, but I always miss Eugene. I loved living in San Francisco and would have liked to have stayed there when Kris and I moved to the Sacramento area but leaving SF didn't depress me like leaving Eugene did. Leaving Eugene was leaving home. Eugene is somehow deep inside me and it has a hold on me that the others don't and I really can't explain it.


Comments

  1. Excellent love letter to Eugene, Dave. As much as I know about you and Oregon, and Eugene in particular, I can picture how it was a perfect fit for you. I think at some point in my life I would have thought that about Berkeley for me, but life gets in the way. It's where I became an adult, and while Berkeley wasn't the cause, it provided the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great town and time to live there. It had everything you could want, close to the mountains, close to the sea, hip vibe and the sense of community

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke