Skip to main content

Perry and Me Home for the Holidays

 

Perry and Me Home for the Holidays



My father liked music and he like Christmas but he didn't like Christmas music. Consequently, there wasn't a lot of Holiday music in the house. Of course there was music on the radio and we did have some played around the house especially the week leading up to Christmas. But for a house of music lovers the Holiday music selection was limited. As I recall most of the Christmas music that was played at the house was by my mother and, once I became old enough, me. I mostly remember my mom's album of a choir singing mostly traditional Christmas Hymns. There was also the Nutcracker Suite and, as my sister Babs reminded me, the “Music Box” album of Christmas songs. I don't remember many pop holiday songs being played. I remember the “Sleigh Ride” song by the Boston Pops with Arthur Fiedler so perhaps we had that 1959 album but I only remember the song, not the album. I'm pretty sure there were about 3 holiday albums in the house. From the radio and piped-in playing in the stores we did get a steady diet of Bing singing “White Christmas”, Nat singing “The Christmas Song”, along with the other classics. I don't remember hearing Christmas music at either of my grandparent's homes either, although I do remember my mom's mom signing “Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat”. It's a song you don't hear much these days and as a little kid I couldn't figure out how you could give someone a half penny. At home the music around the house was mostly the same as the rest of the year with a little bit of holiday music now and then.


When I was maybe 11 I bought my first Christmas music album. It was a Perry Como Christmas album. I most likely bought it in 1960 but the album was originally released somewhere in the 50's. I played that album every year at Christmas time until I left home for college. That album is the soundtrack for my Christmases with my family back in New York. Consequently I have a soft spot for the songs on that album and even today I continue to listen to them when the Holiday season comes rolling along. The songs from that album feel like Christmas to me as they bring back memories of my Christmases past. Babs and I did eventually buy some popular Christmas music when we got older, like The Beach Boys' Christmas album (Babs) and the Motown Christmas album (me), but we were teenagers by then.


My mom would put out our Holiday decorations around the house sometime in December and my dad usually hung lights on the outside of the house around our dinning room window. I say usually because there were a few years where he didn't. One year my dad was very busy with work and he was working a lot of overtime. Consequently he did not make time to put them up. My sister Babs was now old enough to both care and voice her opinion about those things. She kept bugging my dad about it. In my family we are all very good about being relentless for something we want with my sister being #1 at it. My Dad finally got so tired of her pestering him about it that he finally went out and put them up on Christmas Day after we opened all our presents.


When Babs and I were young we would buy Christmas gifts for our parents at the church holiday bazaar. It was a kind of indoor garage sale, lots of stuff other people didn't want for a very cheap price. One year I found four little ceramic angels each holding a letter that together spelled out “NOEL”. The next year when my mom put them out my father rearranged the letters so they spelled LEON and that started a sort of family tradition of rearranging the NOEL angels to spell a variety of things. Those angels spent very little time in the “NOEL” arrangement. In fact, my father would refer to them as the Leon angels. I don't know if my Mom still has them but I suspect those angels are one of the most remembered Christmas decorations by us three kids.


Babs and me


Christmas didn't truly start at our house until my dad got home from the office on Christmas Eve. He only had a half day of work on Christmas Eve and when he got home that's when we put up the Christmas tree. On Christmas Eve afternoon we would gather, just my mom and dad and us kids. We would put the tree up and decorate it together. This took most the afternoon and by the time we finished it would be close to dinner time. We'd all eat dinner together and after dinner we sat around the tree talking and anticipating the next day and we'd even sometimes have some Christmas music playing. Then my parents would read us “The Night Before Christmas” followed by the Christmas story from the Bible, or maybe it was the other way around. After that we'd hang our stockings, being the oldest mine was always the biggest! Then it was off to bed tossing and turning with anticipation until we finally fell asleep. Christmas morning we rushed down stairs and opened all the presents, pretty much as fast as we could. With my dad being an only child and my Mom having just an unmarried sister Christmas dinner was always at our house and the family would show up that afternoon. We did Christmas that way every year.


When I was young Christmas morning was my favorite day of the year but as I got a little older I began to like Christmas Eve even better, and it's still that way today. For me the best part of Christmas is Christmas Eve with just the immediate family, in my case Kris and I, and our dog, sitting in front of the tree listening to Christmas music, with maybe Perry Como singing “There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays” in the background.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke