Skip to main content

Wedding Plans

Wedding Plans

The Game to win Kris

Kris and I decided to marry and we were officially engaged. It was time to inform our families. In my case that was just a phone call since all my family lived back on the east coast. Kris's family all lived in the Sacramento area and Kris wanted to drive up for a visit to tell them in person. I don't remember if we told Bill, Kris's dad or Linda, her mother first. I also don't remember anything significant about Bill's reaction, other than it was positive. I do remember Linda's and Max's (Kris's grandmother) reactions. It was in the “of course you guys are going to get married” category. It was like we were telling them something they already knew. Given our close relationship, I can see why they would think that. Kris was hoping for a bigger more excited reaction. I remember her being a little disappointed. From my perspective I was just glad they were happy about it. Even though they were happy, Linda and Max had a test for me to gain formal approval. Linda loves games so of course, it was a game/puzzle. The picture is above but the contraption had two rods attached to a piece of wood with a metal ball resting on top between the two rods. The ball would move by spreading out or pushing the rods apart or together. Below the rods was a board with dugout bowls with points varying from -10 to 100. The object was to get the ball to roll along the rods and drop in the furthest out bowl you could. My challenge was to score 100 if I wanted approval to marry Kris. To move the ball you had to open the rods further and further apart without letting the ball drop. It's not easy to explain so look at the picture. It's not all that easy to do but after a few attempts I kind of got the hang of it and managed to drop the ball in the furthest bowl (100). I was actually a little lucky as I had not yet fully mastered the trick. I remember Max being skeptical suggesting that I may have cheated. For the record, I didn't, although I confess that I would have had no qualms doing so.

Max and Me - We got along well even if she did call me a cheat...

Next was the planning. I'd been married a couple of times previously but never in a church so the first order of business was to find a church that fit with Kris, a true believer, and would also accept a non-believer like me. Her church in the Bay Area was none too keen on her marrying the likes of me. I was a little nervous about this as I was not going to pretend to be something I wasn't and of course Kris didn't want me to do that either. I also didn't want to have to do any sort of pre-marriage counseling or any sort of religion classes. I had been confirmed in a Lutheran Church when I was 14 so at least I had that going for me. Kris found Westminster Presbyterian at 13th and N. We got hooked up with one of their pastors, Jean Shaw-Connelly. She was perfect. We liked her right off the bat. She wanted to meet with us a couple of times to get to know us a little. There was no pressure and no interrogation about my faith, or lack there of. I really enjoyed meeting and talking with her. She was down to earth with a good sense of humor. We told her we wanted to write our own vows and she was open to us doing that.


We now had a church but what about the reception? After all, isn't that the best part? Kris and I were making good money and we were prepared to pay for everything ourselves so we felt free to find something we liked. I had paid for my first wedding but it was a low budget affair, in fact about as low as you could go. The expenses were only a few dollars for the license and a few more for the Justice of the Peace. It was followed by a very small celebration of about 5 or 6 people, counting us. No family was even invited. We held it at a small pizza place right next to the Valparaiso campus. It largely served the University college students. It closed at 6 during the week. It was a Thursday and hardly anyone was there when we arrived. We had pizza and sodas. Later the owner joined in and after chatting with us he comped us for the whole thing as a wedding present. My second wedding to Kathy was also more of a low budget affair but the reception, while modest, was decent sized. It was at a community center and Kathy's family made all the food. It was a larger celebration with friends and family. This was going to be my first more traditional type wedding and reception. After checking around at various places Kris and I decided on “A Shot of Class” on the K Street Mall. It was right across 11th Street from The Cathedral of The Blessed Sacrament and pretty much right across Capitol Park from Westminster Presbyterian. Instead of hiring a band I made a song list (I know, surprising) that they allowed me to play on their sound system. Bill and Linda actually picked up the tab so while the wedding was not exactly cheap it didn't cost me much.


We set the date for Jan 30th. With Kris's birthday in the middle of January and mine in February we didn't want it to be up against either of our birthdays. The 30th was a Saturday and right in between. We did a buffet style meal supplying beer and wine. There was a no host bar right next to the reception room for those who preferred other libations. All in all, not overly expensive. We could invite all our friends and family. We invited our work friends, our outside of work friends, everyone from our two softball teams, our families, and their friends. My family all lived back east on the east coast. My brother and my parents opted to come. That was a 50% increase from my last wedding. The rest of my family, no doubt, figured they'd just catch my next one. After all, here I was still just in my 30's and already on my 3rd time around. Each wedding celebration was getting better so perhaps they were thinking why not wait for the next one, it might be more worth the trip. What they didn't know was Kris had informed me that this was to be my final marriage, and so far she's right... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke