Skip to main content

Golden Ticket – Part 3

Golden Ticket – Part 3





Consilium

August 1984: I started a new job at Consilium. Consilium was what was referred to as a start-up company. It had been around for about 2 years and had 60 something employees when I joined them. Consilium was a software (computer applications) company, meaning that they they made all their money selling software products as opposed to say someone like IBM whose main product was the hardware, the computer itself. Consilium did not sell hardware. Consilium sold a lot-based manufacturing software product that was the leading product of its type, leading edge was the popular term for that at the time. They were not the biggest but their product was the most advanced.


So perhaps you are wondering just what is lot-based manufacturing? Well in general there are a couple of types of manufacturing. One is where you make something one item at a time like when you are putting together a car. You put each piece of the car together one at a time, usually in an assembly-line fashion. A lot based method is where you make many of something all at the same. Microchips, those things that are in all our computers, are made (fabricated) in lots. Microchips are made many at a time. You start with sand which is melted and refined into silicon ingots which are then sliced in to small wafers. There are more steps like cleaning and polishing and I am not sure I have this all right but it's what I remember: everything goes through each step of the process together. The end result is many chips come out all at once at the end of the process, as opposed to just one thing coming out at a time. I bet you are sorry you asked and spent your time reading this paragraph....


Forget about that previous stuff. The point I really wanted to make is for a computer programmer, working in a software company is very different than working in other types of companies. In other companies being a computer programmer means you are in service to the company's main purpose. As such, your work is secondary to those you are serving and the needs of those who are actually creating the product that the company sells are the top priority. At a software company like Consilium, the programmers are making the product. They are the money makers and as such everyone else in the company is in service to them. Probably doesn't sound like much but if you are creating the product your job and activities are seen as vital so any problem you have that affects your ability to work is a company priority and will be attended to. From a programmer's perspective the highest priority is always what's referred to as Production. Any issued with Production is a call to drop whatever you are doing and resolve it. In other companies a programmer's problem is secondary, not considered a priority. As a software developer working in a software company you are Production and any problem you have becomes a top priority as it's your productivity that ultimately counts. Now you can make an argument that it is all related and in some sense equally important and I would somewhat agree. I have made that argument a few times myself. But you won't win that one. At least I never did...


My First day at Consilium: I noticed that they didn't have cubicles. Everyone was in an office. Offices of non-managers were big and had 2 or 3 people sharing the space. Nice. The company was in the midst of completing a new release of their product and hence under a time crunch as the release date for this new version had to be met. The life of a computer programmer tends to be cyclical in that there are a set of tasks to complete by a certain date. The task lists tend to be a bit aggressive. The process starts out rather deliberate/thoughtful, at a reasonable pace. From there it then tends to build as the process goes along until at the end everyone is working like mad trying to complete their part. I have done my share of all-nighters at the end of these processes. It's a bit like finals week in college. Well, Consilium was at that frantic point. As a result everyone was extremely busy and had little time to get a new employee situated and incorporated into the current process. They had hired 3 or 4 other new programmers about this same time. We all were temporarily housed in the same large room. We were given the task of testing pieces of the new release. For the most part, not knowing the application, we were pretty low level testers and ended up having a bit of free time. We spent a good portion of the day discussing world events/movies/music/living in America. We all had attended college in the states but Clem and Rama were from India and Ismet was from Turkey. Clem, who came from a good family in India (upper class), came to America to attend LSU in Baton Rouge, LA. As a dark skinned person being dropped into the American south introduced him to a few things he was not expecting. We, our country, like to think and preach that we are classless and treat everyone equally but that's pretty far from reality. Clem had some very interesting stories. Rama had some interesting observations as well but at least he went to school in CA. Ismet also had his own very interesting observations. One of Ismet's that has stuck with me was how we were so fixated on white being better. So much so that chicken breasts, with their white meat, cost more per pound that chicken thighs of dark meat even though there is more white meat than dark meat on a chicken and the dark meat has more flavor. Apparently in America white is considered better than dark even when it clearly isn't...

We were stuck together in that same room for just a few weeks but our discussions were so lively and interesting that it's one of my favorite memories of working at Consilium. While I was ready to start doing some real programming I was kind of sorry when we all got placed into our programming groups and moved to our respective offices.


About three weeks after working at Consilium I received a phone call. It was from UC Santa Cruz. The guy they hired did not work out and they me offered the position. My Golden Ticket! The job I had longed for. It was mine if I wanted it. I really wanted it but I couldn't do it. I had just asked Consilium to take me in after I had rejected their initial offer of employment. I couldn't in good conscience leave without giving them a chance. It was painful but I told UC Santa Cruz I had to pass. I tossed and turned and didn't sleep too well for the next few nights.


Consilium, like most companies, found time at some point to walk us around so we could meet all our co-workers. One of the women I met had long blonde hair. I noticed a couple of other things about her too. She either wasn't wearing or at the least was wearing very little make-up. I don't care for a lot of make-up and coming from and seeing myself as part of the bohemian vibe culture I tended to notice those things. I preferred that look. To cap it off, she didn't carry a purse, but toted a backpack. At the time it was just something I noticed, but it would turn out that she would eventually end up being my true Golden Ticket! Oh, and by the way, she was a recent graduate of UC Santa Cruz. 

My Golden Ticket in Santa Cruz


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love, a Many-Splendored Thing

 Love, a Many-Splendored Thing Kris - 1986 D riving back to my apartment in San Francisco from the softball game all I could think about was the dinner with Kris. Kris is one month and one week shy of being 12 years younger than me. At the time she was just 25 where as I was 37. Not only that, I'd been around the block a few times. I mean I'd already been married twice not to mention that I also had a few other live-in girlfriends. Although quite mature in most ways, Kris was still young, a church goer, and clearly had high values. Still there was no doubt that a strong connection happened between us. The question in my mind was, given those differences, would she seriously be considering me as more than just a friend? O nce home I was still a little keyed-up so I put on the TV. At this time I generally did not watch much TV and I hardly ever put it on in the evening. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for awhile so I turned it on and found a mo

Something's Coming

Something's Coming * I was now working at Consilium, a software company in Mountain View, and living in San Francisco. Heidi and I were still living together but we were in the midst of breaking up. Heidi had decided to move out and was looking for a small studio and as such we started going our own way. Heidi was spending more time at her Mom's or at friends and I was spending more time down the peninsula as well as getting more involved with my co-workers at Consilium. T here seemed to be a sort of core group at Consilium. We, me and others who were hired around the same time, used to joke that they were the inner circle. It was more of a function of them having been at the company longer and had a common history of working and socializing together that we didn't share. My initial friends were Rama, Clem and Ismet who all started about the same time as I did, but soon I was engaging with others. As I started to participate in company activities I started to be

Kris & Me: The Early Days

  Kris & Me: The Early Days Ready for the Consilium Holiday Party O ur relationship started on September 30 th , 1986 and from that point on Kris and I did pretty much everything together. We saw each other all the time outside of work and we also worked for the same start-up company, Consilium, doing the same job, Software Engineer. K ris and I were two young, OK not me so much as at 37 I was on the older side for Silicon Valley, Bay Area residents both working in the Hi-Tech industry. Being Computer Programmers we were making good money. Neither of us had much debt, Kris had a modest car payment and I had none. Neither of us had a mortgage and we both had reasonable rents. We had ample discretionary income. Being young, or youngish we engaged in multiple activities. We were out multiple evenings during the week and generally Friday and Saturday nights too. We did tend to stay in on Sunday evenings. We started sort of a tradition where Kris would steam some artichoke